[AusNOG] ABC 7:30 report on Data Retention in civil cases

Michael Keating mkeating44 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 20:14:22 EST 2017

For what it's worth, the consultation paper is at:
https://www.ag.gov.au/Consultations/Documents/Access-to-telecommunications-data/Consultation-paper-access-to-retained-data-in-civil-proceedings.pdf

The key questions are:

1. In what circumstances do parties to civil proceedings currently request
access to telecommunications data in the data set outlined in section 187AA
of the TIA Act (refer to Attachment A)?
2. What, if any, impact would there be on civil proceedings if parties were
unable to access the telecommunications data set as outlined in section
187AA of the TIA Act?
3. Are there particular kinds of civil proceedings or circumstances in
which the prohibition in section 280(1B) of the Telecommunications Act 1997
should not apply?

Bearing in mind the prohibition applies in April, so they are working out
what to essentially leave open.

Using regulations to address "unintended consequences" of privacy
protection? Are they saying that we should throw our privacy out the
window, and for the benefit of who? Given the blank hole in the recent site
blocking court case about punishment for people trying to access blocked
sites, you could take a leap of faith and say this was left intentionally
blank so rights holders could use other means to get this information.
Especially given consultation was given such a short window, during the
Christmas/New Year break... That doesn't sound like the attorney-general's
department at all, does it.

Personally I don't really feel comfortable with the AGs department
extending themselves into areas they think they need to go into, especially
given their track record on commitment to privacy. But hey, YMMV, IANAL and
all that....

Michael Keating