[AusNOG] Internet Outages in Brisbane area

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Wed Dec 20 11:16:29 EST 2017

On Dec 19, 2017, at 9:58 AM, Christopher Hawker <me at chrishawker.com.au> wrote:

> TPG have now had at least 3 major fiber cuts in the past 6 weeks. Some form of policy, law, legislation, (whatever we want to call it) needs to be introduced where if a civil contractor causes damage to a telecommunications carrier network, then the business/company responsible is suspended from performing civil works for 3 months, hit with big-time financial penalties, or where it occurs multiple times then they lose their rights to operate as a civil contractor. This might teach them to be a bit more careful.

The integrity of your network is your problem and responsibility, controlled by your business decisions and your risk appetite, not civil contractors’.

If you’re having trouble due to a fiber cut: Be better.

> With diversity, carriers really should be taking the initiative and advertising their diversity. Those who have it in place (and show it through a public network map or the like) should advertise/promote it. Those who dont will quickly lose business and be forced to up their game.

It’s been alleged that TPG haven’t supplied diversity that has been paid for. Continuing to use them is a business decision guided by a risk assessment.

Carriers can’t solve that problem for you. They’re just bit-pipes with MTBFs. If you aren’t mitigating their risks, you’re a bit-pipe with an MTBF too.

  - mark