[AusNOG] Au > South Africa Customer Link

Greg McLennan mclennan at internode.on.net
Mon Dec 18 22:05:10 EST 2017

Having some experience on this...
If latency isn't a big issue and depending on how $ you have to spend on
the link per month, you can go a contract with a C-Band satellite
provider(using a typical global beam off the bird).
There are a few satellites around 91 degree's east e.g Measat3 and can
do a single hop from East cost of Aus to South Africa on 1 hop ~550mS
round trip. (This Is still good enough for a voip/vtc call(250mS each
way! )..
There is  a bit of investment with the ground station
dishes/modems/block up converters(amplifiers) depending on your
bandwidth requirements.
IP Sat modems over the last 5 years have got some good modulation
schemes and technology with the efficiency per Hz is dam as opposed to
gear ~10years ago.. (Google carrier-in-carrier / doubletalk type modems
~40% more b/w efficient).
e.g
https://www.comtechefdata.com/files/articles_papers/WP-Doubletalk%20Carrier-in-Carrier%20&%20CDM-625%20White%20Paper.pdf

Take a look at this typical C-band  GLOBAL satellite footprint for
measat. Global beams for sat providers roughly = 1/4 to 1/3 of the
planet depending on their antenna configs & tx power etc!!
https://www.satbeams.com/satellites?norad=35362
<http://www.dxsatcs.com/sites/default/files/satellite/91-5east-c/Measat%203%20at%2091.5%20E%20_%20Global%20footprint.jpg>
Cost per MHz-per month is a consideration(contracts typically reduce in
price if you take them over a longer term!!). You'll want a 5 to 7meter
or bigger dish(depends on your bandwidth requirement(the more b/w, the
bigger the dish & (and amplifier!))
and your look angles from Aus & Africa ~20 degrees(depending on where
you are(typically if look angle <15degree's to the satellite then, don't
bother !).

With sat comm's, at the end of the day, you have full control over your
link and you don't have to go chasing fiber-carrier providers.
You could always carry other peoples traffic at a $, if your bandwidth
isn't fully utilized !!

Cheer
Greg..