[AusNOG] Au > South Africa Customer Link

Ian Henderson ianh at ianh.net.au
Mon Dec 18 20:08:07 EST 2017

On 18 Dec 2017, at 3:14 pm, Cameron Murray <cameron.murray at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been asked to entertain the idea of a customer of ours needing a dedicated link between their Australian branches and their head office in ZA.

Have a bit of experience with this route via a few different carriers. SMW3 Perth to Singapore, TIC across India, SAFE down the coast of Africa. Others have covered most of the things I’d recommend, but my best suggestion is to look into WAN acceleration products. We used Riverbed - the improved user experience of the usual MS suite and SSL web apps ZA -> AU was great. Of course the benefits depend on how the app works - an intermediate jump host in AWS Singapore might provide ‘good enough’ performance gains compared to the cost of a WAN acceleration platform.