[AusNOG] Ransomware...

Matt Smee m.smee at unsw.edu.au
Sat Sep 24 15:10:03 EST 2016

Well this is a fun read.

To those who think paying for the ransomware is a bad thing, let me ask you: is it wrong to pay for it if the data it unlocks may save someone’s life, at say…a hospital?

https://www.wired.com/2016/03/ransomware-why-hospitals-are-the-perfect-targets/

The reality is yes there should be backups/DR and ideally yes you shouldn’t encourage criminal behaviour, but in the real world business continuity or the greater good come before our simplistic moral ideals.