[AusNOG] Complexity is not an excuse for an industry-wide cop-out (was Re: Conroy quit.)

Kosh Naranek kosh at nervhq.com
Mon Sep 19 16:53:39 EST 2016

But from an ISP point of view, they sell you ADSL2, perfect ADSL2 could get
you HD Netflix (maybe even 4K if it's really perfect), but you'll only get
"perfect" in a CBD or next door to the exchange, until your modem does it's
sync for the first time the ISP can't say what you'll get from your house,
so even if the consumer knows they need 5Mbps for HD, until they actually
buy the service they don't know they're going to get it.

If I got perfect ADSL2+ at home, I could stream Netflix HD while my
partner's sister streams iView and I download updates for my desktop.

But I get luckily 6-8Mbps depending on rain, so I can watch Netflix HD, but
if someone else wants to watch Netflix, we start on our way towards potato
quality.

On top of that Provider X might massively overprovision or you might have
someone in your area torrenting on cable with you and then your 100/10
connection can't even stream Netflix HD.

I'm not saying it's an insurmountable problem, just that when it comes to
business decisions, it's what will make more money or cost the least.

It's cheaper and makes more profits to just put more exclamation marks on
your advertising.