[AusNOG] Where To sell Commercial Grade Router (Used)

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 15:53:38 EST 2016

On 11 October 2016 at 15:11, Chad Kelly <chad at cpkws.com.au> wrote:

> On 10/11/2016 12:00 PM, ausnog-request at lists.ausnog.net wrote:
>
>> I don't think you spelt Juniper correctly. Couldn't even pay someone to
>> crush that....
>>
> Brocade seam to be the fashionable router at the moment, everyone is
> buying them. A few years ago Cisco ones were the go.
> They can't be that bad as a brand as a number of enterprise grade
> providers use them.

I've run Brocade campus and datacentre switches for years now.  I won't
lie, there were some issues with the campus switches over the years (no
more really than I saw with Cisco in the past, and I could get hold of
people at Brocade to address those issues), but their datacentre switches
(VDX) have been absolutely rock solid.

As I understand it, a lot of very large networking companies/installations
are using Brocade for core switching and routing, so they can't be too
terrible in that space either.  And the Vyatta/vRouter product is becoming
the default in many virtual hosting environments these days, including
those environments run by large multinational providers.

I haven't been particularly impressed with Cisco Nexus, but that's not to
say they're not good - just they haven't suited my use cases as well as
other stuff has.

I can't comment on Juniper, I've not come across it personally (though I do
note that I've had suppliers run Juniper kit for years, and I've never had
cause to complain about the services provided on that brand of kit).

Regards,

Robert