[AusNOG] Network Diagnostic Tool

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 18:26:47 EST 2016

On 24 Nov. 2016 11:04, "Paul Wilkins" <paulwilkins369 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The problem Mehrdad for distributing bespoke scripts/tools is enterprise
security. Network management platforms can go pretty much anywhere, have
low level access, and can read traffic on the wire. So they're a really
attractive vector for attackers. Consequently if your tool doesn't come
from some Fortune 500, you will simply not get the install request past
most change management boards.

You should have those people who believe "Fortune 500" status guarantees
something  read an End User License Agreement for any commercial software
application. All the risk is yours.

https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~mbarrien/jokes/softman.txt

The claim of it being legit is true, because I read the license agreement
for Interactive EasyFlow, and have a photocopy floating around somewhere.

> I think we've all at some time struggled with SOE machines that didn't
have ping installed.

Never.

If I did, I'd see it as a sign that the "infosec" people didn't have a clue
about threat modelling.

Make their heads explode by having them read this:

"Reflections on Trusting Trust"
http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=358210

Regards,
Mark.

> Kind regards
>
> Paul Wilkins
>

> On 24 November 2016 at 09:20, Mehrdad Arshad Rad <arshad.rad at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I've started to develop an open source tool 4-5 months ago to help
neteng/sysadmin/sysops please take look at the below links and let me know
if you have any suggestions.