[AusNOG] Data Retention - are you kidding me??

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Tue Nov 22 16:12:16 EST 2016

On Tue, 22 Nov 2016, David Beveridge wrote:

> https://www.ag.gov.au/NationalSecurity/DataRetention/Documents/Dataset.pdf
>
> 2. The source of a communication
> Identifiers of a related account, service or device from which a
> communication has been sent or attempted to be sent by means of the
> relevant service.

ok....

> Identifiers for the source of a communication may include, but are not
> limited to:

It doesn't say it must include ALL of them.
The "source of" doesn't automatically mean an IP address and/or port.
I am not a lawyer, but when we were all thrashing out what these various
poorly-defined terms might mean, I'm absolutely certain that in the case
of email, the data in the typical maillog (envelope to/from and which mail
server it was being sent from and received by) was sufficient.

In any event, I'd expect that we've all defined quite clearly in our DRIP
how we interpreted the legislation and exactly what we will be capturing.
Our DRIPs have been either accepted or rejected, after review by the
various departments. If you do no less than you've undertaken in your
DRIP, surely that's "enough"?