[AusNOG] bigpond mail problems?

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Mon Nov 7 17:30:55 EST 2016

On Mon, 7 Nov 2016, Narelle wrote:

> Just to clarify - it's the mail relay that is causing our trouble. Our mail
> server can't locate the telstra service used as a relay agent due to
> blacklisting...

>> and it seems to be because our smtp.telstrabusiness.com has been
>> blacklisted by spamcannibal due to an incorrect reverse dns according to
>> http://mxtoolbox.com/ blacklist checker...

I've checked, that site has checked my servers against its "108 known
blacklists" and comes back green tick and "OK" for every blacklist and
every one of my servers.

My mail queue continues to grow  at a gentle rate of about 50 msgs/hr (it
seems to have started at about 8am yesterday/sunday), and 100% of the
queued but undeliverable mail are to recipients either @bigpond.com, or
domains that still use extmail.bigpond.com.

I expect when their customers start asking why they are not getting mail,
bigpond will do the usual "it's not us, it's them" point-and-shoot blame
reassignment routine.