[AusNOG] Consultation on s313(3) use

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Wed May 4 12:51:10 EST 2016

On 4 May 2016 12:07 PM, "Paul Wilkins" <paulwilkins369 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, but this is not Russia.

You've missed the point entirely, and I've spent enough time trying to
explain it.

> The sites they will want blocked will either be illegal content (child
pornography, terrorism related) or phishing sites. In both cases, the
security services are quite entitled to terminate the service as a criminal
enterprise. The point being not to firewall out the content (which is not
achievable), but to prevent inadvertent access - eg. https://www.ÇBA.com.au
<https://www.xn--ba-3ia.com.au>. After that, perps cannot claim they were
browsing https://www.12yovirgins.com by accident.

> Kind regards
>
> Paul Wilkins
>
> On 4 May 2016 at 08:25, Mark Smith <markzzzsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 2 May 2016 7:16 PM, "Paul Wilkins" <paulwilkins369 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Mark,
>> > I'm glad you raised the point, as it needs to be clarified that the
purview of the s313 inquiry is "disruption" of services. It's not required
to read the data stream. For the purposes of s313 it should be sufficient
to read the SSL certificate, and then block by either white list or black
list.

>> You're assuming that the entire HTTPS website's content is "prohibited",
so this censorship can be implemented at a certificate granularity.
Incorrect assumption.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/wikipedia-blacklisted-in-russia-2015-8?r=US&IR=T

>> > John,
>> > For better or worse, we're heading to a future where SSL will not be
banned, but it will be licensed. This in my view is what's driving the
ongoing spat between the FBI and Apple.

>> > Kind regards
>> >
>> > Paul Wilkins

rename it “TLS” so we don’t have to tell them that their ban has been
unsuccessful.