[AusNOG] IPv6 excuses

Simon Attwell simon at attwell.net
Wed Jun 8 14:55:25 EST 2016

​
On 8 June 2016 at 14:19, Mark Newton <newton at atdot.dotat.org> wrote:

> My current understanding is that some software upgrades needed to fix some
> “crash after NNN days” on the BRAS systems have been carried out, and that
> was the obstacle in the way of (re)enabling unmetering for IPv6.
>
> So I’m not totally sure whether IPv6 has unmetering capability at the
> moment. Maybe someone like Brad can clue us in.
>
> The technical method to do it was pretty straightforward, by the way: If
> you set up class-based accounting on a Cisco ASR1000-series BRAS, and
> define two QoS classes which match IPv4 and IPv6 “deny free sites; permit
> any” ACLs, you’ll get a Radius accounting stream for each class. Plug that
> into your billing system, and away you go.

​Totally agree, but see below for what customers see about IPv6 from
Internode.​

> > Also media providers haven't really caught on to IPv6 yet. Ten play for
> example will not play their "live" streams if you use IPv6.
>
> But will if you’re dual stack, so that’s okay.

​Nope. Fails with dual-stack.
Specifically the live stream, which does time and I assume ip geo-location
to determine which stream should be available.
With IPv6 enabled, it redirects you to the schedule as if there were no
current live streams available.
With IPv4 only enabled, it works just fine.
​

> > So whilst my home network might be fully IPv6 capable it remains
> disabled.
>
> That’s a bit weird. Why?

​I should clarify, it remains disabled on certain devices.​

I have been informed that:
"I don't care about your network voodoo! ​Thou shalt not interfere with the
watching of Masterchef on Tenplay!"

Apologies for the inline image, but here's a snip of the Internode portal
from today.
Note the "Unmetered traffic is not supported over IPv6".
And whilst you're directed to the "unmetered page" for more information, no
further information regarding IPv6 is available.
Therefore one must assume that IPv6 is metered.

​- Simon

[image: Inline images 1]

​