[AusNOG] Open Networking

Andrew Yager andrew at rwts.com.au
Tue Jul 5 10:39:46 EST 2016

We've been running it for almost 18 months now in production and have done
a fair bit of work with a number of the vendors building OS platforms.

IMO the one to watch in the ISP/"Traditional Network" space is a product
called OCNOS by IP Infusion. It's a very Cisco like CLI with a range of
"carrier" technologies including MPLS, RSVP, LDP implemented. We have found
a couple of limitations with FRR, but still quite acceptable once tested.
We've also done a fair bit of interop testing with Juniper and Cisco and
are still running it in our labs on some S6000s and have had no major
issues. It also has a rudimentary HQOS implementation that we haven't
really drilled into yet.

The buffer discussion is something that we keep going back to with Dell.
I'm told it's a Broadcom architecture limitation at the moment, but there
are new chipsets due out later this year with larger packet buffers.

Thanks,
Andrew

On 4 July 2016 at 17:21, Greg Anderson <ganderson at raywhite.com> wrote:

> My question would be regarding buffer sizes.  Looking at the Dell S3048-ON
> BaseT switch, it has only 4MB buffers, the SFP+ S4048-ON has 12MB buffers,
> but this is about 1/10th to 1/3 (respectively) of what a Nexus 9300 series
> has (~37-52MB).
>
> Is this really enough to run a converged network environment in a
> datacentre, especially with iSCSI being one of those protocols?
>
> (Appreciate any advice either on or off list)
>
> Thanks,
> Greg.
>
> On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 at 14:46 Matt Smee <m.smee at unsw.edu.au> wrote:
>
>> For what it’s worth, I remember hearing Cumulus now supports PoE+ from
>> 3.0+ though limited hardware so far:
>>

>> https://docs.cumulusnetworks.com/display/DOCS/Power+over+Ethernet+-+PoE
>>
>> https://cumulusnetworks.com/support/linux-hardware-compatibility-list/
>>
>> ‘edgecore AS4610-54P
>> <http://www.edge-core.com/ProdDtl.asp?sno=472&AS4610-54P>’
>>

>> I’ve been impressed with the zero touch deployment part of it but still
>> learning/playing with it at the moment. Though it doesn’t seem quite yet
>> ideal in the enterprise access space, there’s some missing features that I
>> do like such as the various L2 security options but then again it’s
>> definitely more Data Centre focused than enterprise access, though that may
>> change in the future…
>>

>> I’d also give a +1 to Ben, why pay so much for simple routing/L3
>> switching? In 3-5 years with some maturity I can’t see how you could ever
>> justify the $bigvendor prices for some deployments or at least some devices
>> within the network. Looking at doing 40/100G and we can see its definitely
>> looking like a good option even now.

*Andrew Yager, CEO* *(BCompSc, JNCIS-SP, MACS (Snr) CP)*
Real World Technology Solutions - IT People you can trust
Voice | Data | IT Procurement | Managed IT
rwts.com.au | 1300 798 718

*Real World is a Dell Premier Partner*

This document should be read only by those persons to whom it is addressed
and its content is not intended for use by any other persons. If you have
received this message in error, please notify us immediately. Please also
destroy and delete the message from your computer. Any unauthorised form of
reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited. We are not liable for
the proper and complete transmission of the information contained in this
communication, nor for any delay in its receipt. Please consider the
environment before printing this e-mail.