[AusNOG] Open Networking

Matt Smee m.smee at unsw.edu.au
Mon Jul 4 14:46:19 EST 2016

For what it’s worth, I remember hearing Cumulus now supports PoE+ from 3.0+ though limited hardware so far:

https://docs.cumulusnetworks.com/display/DOCS/Power+over+Ethernet+-+PoE
https://cumulusnetworks.com/support/linux-hardware-compatibility-list/
‘edgecore AS4610-54P<http://www.edge-core.com/ProdDtl.asp?sno=472&AS4610-54P>’

I’ve been impressed with the zero touch deployment part of it but still learning/playing with it at the moment. Though it doesn’t seem quite yet ideal in the enterprise access space, there’s some missing features that I do like such as the various L2 security options but then again it’s definitely more Data Centre focused than enterprise access, though that may change in the future…

I’d also give a +1 to Ben, why pay so much for simple routing/L3 switching? In 3-5 years with some maturity I can’t see how you could ever justify the $bigvendor prices for some deployments or at least some devices within the network. Looking at doing 40/100G and we can see its definitely looking like a good option even now.