[AusNOG] How are you handling metadata?

John Edwards jaedwards at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 14:44:43 EST 2016

RFC 7422 suggests assigning a range of source ports per-user in a CGNAT
environment, specifically to reduce logging requirements.

Cisco have implemented this in ISG with a feature called "Port Bundle Host
Key" (PBHK), which includes a vendor-specific RADIUS attribute for logging
which "bundle" of ports the user used.

A nifty side effect of this strategy is that it can also be used to
identify/authorise users "by IP address" when the web server is on the
outside of the NAT gateway.

John