[AusNOG] How are you handling metadata?

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Wed Jan 27 14:37:22 EST 2016

On Wed, 27 Jan 2016, Andrew Cox wrote:

> A non-exhaustive list of examples:
> Mining camp resident networks

Only if access to the residents is provided by the ISP.
If the ISP/Carrier provides a link to the site, and the mine itself
distributes that to their residents/staff, there is no obligation to
retain that data. (IANAL, but the legislation makes that quite clear)

> Shared office space networks

If an ISP or carrier provides a link to the office management entity (who
is not an ISP or carrier), then there is no logging required.

> University student access networks

I suspect student and staff access would be covered under the "immediate
circle" rule and data need not be retained in this scenario either.

> Basically anywhere the end users are on a private subnet and aren't covered
> by "local area wireless hotspot" DR exemptions.

... and still assuming the entity providing that access *IS* an ISP or
carrier..

R.