[AusNOG] NBN 1Gb "fiber" services

John Edwards jaedwards at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 11:20:16 EST 2016

NBN FTTH is using Corning's 8-port multitap, sometimes with a 4-port
extension.

>From memory, they originally specified a maximum drop-cable length of 150m.
This may limit the number of premises that can physically connect to the
multi-tap in a neighbourhood with 20m street frontages on 1/4 acre blocks.

Because of the use of 12-fibre ribbon cable (1 ribbon per multitap), it
would be tricky to fix a physical fault without moving 8 services at a time
- this might be why 8 ports are spare on the splitter. The ribbons have 12
fibres as well - maybe there is a 12 + 12 + 8 = 32 configuration that
leaves 2 sets of 4 fibres spare.

John