[AusNOG] NBN 1Gb "fiber" services

Joseph Goldman joe at apcs.com.au
Thu Feb 25 08:36:09 EST 2016

Yes its off a standard FTTH NTD - I believe GPON is capable of around
2.4gbits to an NTD.

The difference between FTTN/B & FTTH is that FTTH has the fibre straight
into NTD to hand off as gigabit ethernet to you. FTTN/B is Fibre to the
Node/Basement, where it uses standard copper pair from the node/basement
to your VDSL modem. VDSL is a more restrictive technology so you won't
be able to get those fast(er) speeds on that standard copper pair.