[AusNOG] Can't bring up 6in4 tunnel (IPv6) because public IP changing on Optus ADSL

Goran Aleksic goran.aleksic at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 17:05:52 EST 2016

HI all,

I've got Optus ADSL and dynamic public IP.
Needed 6-in-4 tunnel (IPv6 encapsulated into IPv4 tunnel), tried using
Hurricane Electric IPv6 provider, as I saw positive reviews.
I got Juniper SRX 110 modem and have implemented configuration as stated on
http://forums.juniper.net/t5/SRX-Services-Gateway/HE-IPv6-tunnel-with-flow-based-IPv6-in-10-4/td-p/69338/highlight/true/page/3

Issue is – my public IP (on at-1/0/0.0 interface) keeps changing every time
I attempt the tunnel.
This is a twofold problem:
1. on Hurricane Electric page, you need to specify one endpoint of the
tunnel, i.e. your public IP
2. In configuration of ip-0/0/0.0 interface (tunnel interface) on Juniper
SRX, you need to specify your tunnel source IP (a public IP). There doesn't
seem to be a trick like with Cisco, to use ip unnumbered and imply IP
address from your WAN interface...

Why would an attempt to establish a IPv4 tunnel to another host trigger my
public IP to be changed?

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the same or similar issue?

Thanks,

Alex