[AusNOG] New Cable Protection Zone (was Re: Vocus to build Australia Singapore Cable)

Alan Maher alanmaher at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 16:01:40 EST 2016

Diversity is the key to resilience. Especially with undersea cables.
As a Kiwi, I have often wondered what might happen if the Southern Cross
cable was accidentally severed.
The wailing and gnashing of teeth locally would likely be loud enough to be
heard in Oz.
"Where has my Netflix/Facebook/ et al , gone ??" etc.

I am pleased that a new cable is being sunk as we speak.
http://hawaikicable.co.nz/?network
And while it may be a day or 10 before it is up and running, it at least
traverses
a slightly different route to the Southern Cross cable. And lands in a
different place.
It also originates in a different place.
About the only thing that concerns me is that it runs through Hawaii, as
do most
Trans-Pacific cables that head in our direction.
http://www.submarinecablemap.com/#/

And Hawaii is where the NSA has their largest listening post operation.
Aside from that, it is good to see some diversity, which all adds to
resilience.

The more cables , the better.

Cheers
Alan Maher