[AusNOG] census issues tonight

Chad Kelly chad at cpkws.com.au
Thu Aug 11 12:42:30 EST 2016

On 8/10/2016 11:13 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
> In message <e306f196-3bd1-5270-7236-bb8aa1f0f19d at cpkws.com.au>, Chad Kelly writ
> es:
>> On 8/10/2016 7:18 PM, ausnog-request at lists.ausnog.net wrote:
>>> In hindsight, they could have blocked international access via their
>>> upstream providers. This would have avoided almost all issues whilst still
>>> reaching almost all of the audience.
>> They did block all, (most ) international traffic from the reports
>> around the place.
> Which just broke the cdn network.  I needed to stop talking to the
> cdn's DNS servers over IPv6 to get a Australian server returned which
> could then deliver me the web content.
>
> 	server 2606:2800:1::5 { bogus yes; };
> 	server 2606:2800:1::6 { bogus yes; };
>
> If I talked to them over IPv6 they think I'm in the US.  With proper
> planning the ABS could have required that all returned addresses
> be based in Australia.

They IBM Cloud / SoftLayer use / resell Verizon Digital Media, formerly
Edgecast, which is basic by design.
In that unless you actually pay for the extra features they don't
provision them.
The federal government have a policy now a days of going for the
cheapest quote, so if you quote a job for $2000 and a competitor quotes
$800 the cheaper quote will win.
This works well for some items, but not when planning web based IT
infrastructure that needs to scale.
Regards Chad.

--
Chad Kelly