[AusNOG] census issues tonight

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Aug 10 23:13:47 EST 2016

In message <e306f196-3bd1-5270-7236-bb8aa1f0f19d at cpkws.com.au>, Chad Kelly writ
es:
> On 8/10/2016 7:18 PM, ausnog-request at lists.ausnog.net wrote:
> > In hindsight, they could have blocked international access via their
> > upstream providers. This would have avoided almost all issues whilst still
> > reaching almost all of the audience.
>
> They did block all, (most ) international traffic from the reports
> around the place.

Which just broke the cdn network.  I needed to stop talking to the
cdn's DNS servers over IPv6 to get a Australian server returned which
could then deliver me the web content.

	server 2606:2800:1::5 { bogus yes; };
	server 2606:2800:1::6 { bogus yes; };

If I talked to them over IPv6 they think I'm in the US.  With proper
planning the ABS could have required that all returned addresses
be based in Australia.