[AusNOG] auDA to introduce direct registrations in .au...

David Keegel djk at cyber.com.au
Mon Apr 18 21:36:13 EST 2016

Nathan, I think you are reading too much into it.

https://www.auda.org.au/assets/pdf/2015npp-final-report.pdf
second paragraph says:
    The proposed change would leave the existing 2LDs in place, and also
    add the option of registering directly for any Australian entity.
    Those registering directly would need to be eligible to register
    a domain under the existing 2LD rules ...

If you want details of who would be eligible, see Attachment A on
page 16.  It includes companies, partnerships, sole traders, clubs,
statutory bodies, citizens, residents, etc.