[AusNOG] remote power cycle device

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Sat Apr 16 07:22:25 EST 2016

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016, Andrew Khoo wrote:

> i am seeking out a device that will let me trigger (via TCP/IP or 4G/LTE) a
> power cycle. what i am thinking of is a device with a IEC C13 and C14 (AC
> in and out) and some smarts in the middle.

A decade ago, I built a series of these for a customer who had heaps of
remote PTZ cameras in remote locations. I used a bunch of WRT54GL routers,
reflashed with openWRT. Each had two relays mounted inside, and two sets
of screw connectors attached to the underside. The device had the smarts
to ping the camera (local), and a device on the carrier-side of their WAN
link. If either stopped responding, this thing would powercycle the DSL
modem/router (or in some cases, cellrouter), or the camera itself.

It could also be contacted directly to manually cycle, turn on, or turn
off, either or both relays.

They were inexpensive and proved to be highly reliable. (Were only
decommissioned last year when they removed all the cameras).

Can send details if it'll help.

R.