[AusNOG] Data Retention

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Thu Sep 24 21:04:45 EST 2015

On 23 Sep 2015, at 7:14 pm, Chad Kelly <chad at cpkws.com.au> wrote:

> All the info is confidential so we can't discuss specifics.

Why is it confidential? You're either an ISP/carrier offering certain
types of services, in which case your obligations are a matter of public
record; or you aren't.

It clearly isn't privileged legal advice because you've just spoken about
it in a public forum.

Seriously, all of you people: AGD would dearly love it if this stuff was
smoke and mirrors skullduggery, kept away from public eye; but it just
isn't. There is no confidentiality requirement whatsoever written into the
legislation. So talk about it. Communicate about why you're doing. Make
sure that those outside the industry can see what a massive clusterfuck
it is. And make sure AGD understands that none of the meetings they ever
have with you will be confidential, put them on record with names and direct
quotes every time.

Or stay silent, let it all happen in secret in the shadows, extract no
reputational blowback whatsoever from AGD, let them know they can get away
with it, and embolden them to make it even worse in another year or two.

(Or sell up, I guess. That must be an increasingly attractive option too...)

  - mark