[AusNOG] The new Minister for Communications is Senator Mitch Fifield

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 20:09:55 EST 2015

George,
With respect, this is incorrect. Conroy coopted the push for infrastructure
to enrich the unions. I think I can put the record straight.

In 2001 Lindsay Tanner (Labor Shadow Comms Minister) was very much across
the need for national internet infrastructure. Labor strategy was well
advanced.

Conroy inherited existing strategy with the portfolio in 2004, and used the
unions to push the Labor right for a national fibre network that Labor
would have the taxpayer pay for.

The rest is history.

Kind regards

Paul Wilkins