[AusNOG] NBNco: "Let's start competing with our customers!"

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Sun Sep 20 13:04:14 EST 2015

On 17/09/2015 12:27, Paul Brooks wrote:

> This whole mess also seems to hang on two assumptions:
> 1) every ISP needs to service the whole national footprint
> 2) every ISP needs to charge the same uniform retail price all over the footprint.
>
> Are either of these true?
>
> Of course they are - unless you want to be blasted into extinction
>
> 1 - a necessity to compete/survive
>
> 2 - a necessity to compete/survive
>
> I'm truly amazed someone on THIS list assuming they have any RSP experience even asks such a question
 There are still many many ADSL-based ISPs who serve the mainland but
not Tasmania, due to the high cost of backhaul to Tasmania.

I'll give you the Tasmania one.

> So no - it isn't a necessity for every ISP to cover the entire national to compete or survive. In fact, if you do, you'll genericise yourself into oblivion, since you'll have no point of differentiation.

Rubbish, if thats case, a few rather well known large ISP's would not be
here today, or would have vanished 10-15 years ago, yet here they still
are, and some are market leaders.

> theres no problem for NBNCo to try to solve.

guess we're gunna have to agree to disagree.