[AusNOG] Legal Challenge To Meta Data Laws

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Thu Sep 17 15:47:58 EST 2015

On Sep 17, 2015, at 3:42 PM, Philip Loenneker <Philip.Loenneker at tasmanet.com.au> wrote:

> Sorry for covering a topic you've already thrashed out, as I said I'm new to the list.
> The difficulty I think I will have is reaching a consensus with my colleagues…

You need to consult a lawyer with telecommunications expertise.

> I don't want to implement things we don't need and then find we aren't covering things we DO need. I'll find out if anyone has actually submitted anything to the CAC for approval first I think.

Based on your email address, you work for TasmaNet?

The TasmaNet website appears to suggest that they offer internet connectivity. Thus they’re an ISP, which means they’ll need to retain data for all services they offer which correspond to the data set definition in the legislation, including over-the-top services.

If TasmaNet wasn’t an ISP, they probably wouldn’t have to retain data for anything.

Consult a lawyer with telecommunications expertise. If you’re an engineer, you really shoudn’t be in the decision-making pathway for this.

  - mark