[AusNOG] ACCC pushes for consumer internet speed test, telcos aren't keen on the idea

Bevan Slattery bevan at slattery.net.au
Sun Sep 13 21:19:03 EST 2015

Let's not hypothesise, let's clearly understand how we got here.

NBN v2.0 FttP had a financial model that had 14 PoI's and needed $20/m to rhetorically break even.  I say theoretical because the financial model was floored.

As part of the process for approval the ACCC went to market for consultation.  The major intercap owners with assets that are in the back half of their asset life argued that to do so would stifle investment in regional backhaul.

Others (PIPE included) argued that BOTH 121 PoI's *and* aggregation should be offered.  This way if there is not competitive backhaul at any given PoI then the NBN could be a provider of last resort @ $20/Mbps for CVC + backhaul included.  However this also meant that the with backhaul or even just local providers can tap into the local PoI for both a lower latency and lower CVC charge.  This would provide competition, choice and also reward those who have invested.

The ACCC went the path of 121 PoIs and the NBN then had to comply.  BUT the NBN still needed $20/Mpbs on aggregation otherwise their financial model would no longer work and they would have to take a write down.  So they agreed to the ACCC the 121 PoI model and kept the $20/Mpbs despite no longer being able to provide state based backhaul, no longer able to be a provider of last resort.  The ACCC said "fantastic" and here we are.

So a more competent regular understanding how competition works would have gone with the BOTH model.  Instead they not only went with 121 PoI's but didn't seek NBN to reduce the CVC charge considering backhaul was no longer provided.

[b]