[AusNOG] ACCC pushes for consumer internet speed test, telcos aren't keen on the idea

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Sun Sep 13 20:52:09 EST 2015

Right -
Lets say the ACCC had ruled to do what everyone here wants, to aggregate all Australia
to two redundant super-POIs in each major capital city, just like Telstra wholesale ADSL.
Every end-user tail circuit, residential and corporate, is migrated to the NBN.

Lets take it a step further - NBN link the PoIs together, so any ISP can hook up to
just a single POI and achieve blanket national coverage. Two or three POIs provides
redundancy against POI failure.

The AVC and CVC charges are higher, as NBNCo now has to pay for all the long-haul
transmission all over the country, and recover that in extra service charges. Probably
not as much as the extra costs of backhaul ISPs currently incur to reach 121 POIs,
since NBN would have ultimate economy of scale carrying every bit of traffic.

Who wins?
Who loses?
Who goes out of business in 5 years? 10 years?