[AusNOG] Services in Honiara

Jonathan Brewer jon.brewer at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 18:41:43 EST 2015

Hi All,

I replied privately to Keith earlier, but Save has called me out so...

"Our Telekom" in the Solomons has both 3G (Huawei?) and ADSL networks built
to first world standards, and they are based in Honiara. I remember seeing
cache and/or CDN servers and an L-Root in their racks when I visisted last
December. Backhaul was recently migrated from a set of four geostationary
links to O3B. I believe they still use a huge amount of geostationary to
link all of the other islands.

I've taken some snapshots of their network's performance from:

Honolulu:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ageicm8punq4xzt/Screenshot%202015-09-10%2020.26.52.png?dl=0
Sydney:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rsmexjcsfzoz57v/Screenshot%202015-09-10%2020.27.01.png?dl=0

You can see pretty clearly when they moved to O3B. I have a set ten
Smokeping servers around the Pacific now measuring all the networks I know
about, and will soon be publishing aggregated statistics for all to see.

If you're interested in the Pacific, please have a look at
http://pacpeer.org/ and get in touch if you think you can help.

Cheers,

Jon