[AusNOG] Legal Challenge To Meta Data Laws

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 10:41:52 EST 2015

On 10 September 2015 at 10:13, Mark Newton <newton at atdot.dotat.org> wrote:
> On Sep 10, 2015, at 9:24 AM, Andrew Kitchen <a.kitchen at xi.com.au> wrote:
>
> So in other words if you don’t offer ISP type services and all you do is
> offer Content based services such as Web Hosting etc then you don’t have
> data retention obligations.
>

> <dogue>Such wow, many Einstein, so law.</dogue>
>
> Who could possibly have described that before the bill even passed through
> the Parliament?
>
> I feel there is a viable legal challenge to these laws for ISP’s who offer
> web hosting and other services
>

> Buckley’s and none.
>
> On what basis would you challenge it? There is no restriction on the
> Parliament passing laws which have anticompetitive effect, there’s only a
> prohibition on businesses behaving in certain anticompetitive ways.

Actually, the NBN laws are specifically anticompetitive (as are others
such as the Australia Post ones). They specifically set up a monopoly
provider who has advantages that no other private company has:

- laws can easily be created in their favour

- they can borrow against the country's assets rather than just the company's

- the shareholders (i.e., tax payers) don't have a choice as to
whether to invest in it or not, and politicians' primary goal is to
get voted back in by doing things that voters will like, which will be
a priority over ensuring the government enterprises they create have
the best chance of business success

- which consequently means those shareholders have no choice but to
wear the consequences of bankruptcy if it occurs (case study:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Bank_of_South_Australia#1991_State_Bank_collapse
- "The bank's financial implosion in 1991 was one of the biggest
economic disasters to hit in the state.")