[AusNOG] A look at the coalitions NBN so far

Greg Anderson ganderson at raywhite.com
Wed Sep 9 14:05:48 EST 2015

Paul,

Unfortunately we can't have facts about whether or not there would or would
not have been costs blowouts under Labor because destiny did not choose
this path for us.  But he did clear identify there was a 10% blowout when
Labor were in power.  However, we can measure the performance of the
Coalition based on the promises they made when lobbying during the previous
election versus their actual performance.  This is exactly what what
Turnbull did versus Labor, and I would argue he did very successfully.  I
feel he made Labor look like they were not doing the job well.  Now I think
he is making Labor look like they were doing a fabulous job.

When I take into account what the Coalition promised us versus what they
have delivered, I agree with the article completely.

In my opinion:
- The NBN is not even remotely close to being able to deliver at least
25Mbps to the population by the end of 2016.  I would be astonished if they
achieved it.  Not sooner.
- The cost of implementing the MTM network no longer presents value.  To
spend that much on a network that will be due for significant upgrade work
at its completion seems wasteful.  Can NBNco remain viable?  I want to call
it LBN.

I believe if Turnbull from pre-election 2013 was able to contest Turbull
from pre-election 2016 (starting now) he would have an absolute field day.
I pray that Labor can effectively portray what I see as an absolute NBN
failure on the part of the Coalition.

I also think Turbull would have been excellent driving a FTTP NBN policy.
I am not sure if he came up with the MTM.  I try to believe the policy was
forced upon him.

On 9 September 2015 at 13:19, Paul Wilkins <paulwilkins369 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Karl,
> Thanks for the interesting reply.
>
> I think it's unfair to compare the NBN's actual performance under
> Turnbull, with NBN's initial FTTP estimates. I think it's fairly partisan
> to suggest that there wouldn't have been cost blowouts under Labor. For one
> thing, the exchange rate has moved considerably.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Paul Wilkins
>

> On 9 September 2015 at 12:39, Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2015-09-09 at 12:12 +1000, Paul Wilkins wrote:
>> > Those are Prof Rod Tucker (of University Melbourne)'s views and
>> figures. He
>> > wanted $43bn from Stephen Conroy back in 2009 for a FTTN network. This
>> was
>> > when the AUD was trading at USD$1.15. His is a fairly partisan position.
>>
>> To assume someone is partisan because they argue for one position or
>> another is very poor form indeed, unless you can demonstrate their bias.
>> And even if someone IS partisan, they may still be right, even if for
>> the wrong reasons. That's the problem with ad hominem attacks - they
>> don't address the facts.
>>
>> A position that is argued from supportable facts is not partisan unless
>> other facts are being deliberately ignored. If you have a problem with
>> an article, you need to attack the statements made in it, either by
>> showing that the facts being used are not true, by showing that
>> information the writer had access to is being ignored, or by showing
>> that the facts as given do not support the conclusions drawn.
>>
>> So - is the author wrong? If so, how so?
>>
>> Regards, K.
>>
>> --
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)
>> http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
>> http://twitter.com/kauer389
>>
>> GPG fingerprint: 3C41 82BE A9E7 99A1 B931 5AE7 7638 0147 2C3C 2AC4
>> Old fingerprint: EC67 61E2 C2F6 EB55 884B E129 072B 0AF0 72AA 9882

*Regards,Greg Anderson*
Senior Network Administrator   |   Ray White Group[image: Ray White]
T(07) 32312121
Whttps://www.raywhite.com
ALevel 26, 111 Eagle Street, BRISBANE QLD 4000