[AusNOG] Fwd: Google Cloud Platform and the decision on Safe Harbor by the Court of Justice of the European Union

Thu Oct 15 19:17:21 EST 2015

This has been discussed a lot in Europe lately (as you can imagine).

Thing is: Google will send out some updated T&C or similar, where you
need to click accept in order to continue to use their service, agreeing
to let Google store data in the US which can be inspected by the US
government.
Given that most people AND companies do actually not care about their
data (especially the small and very small or individual businesses who
make up a huge chunk of users) they will just click ok, and rather keep
using the service, than look after their data. Many users won't even
read this new T&C's as they never do, and simply accept.

So in the End it's a bit of work for Google, they might lose a handful
of customers, but overall nothing changes.

That's my 2c.

Question is: should you as provider (or facilitator) of those services
explicitly tell your customers?

Cheers,

Mat