[AusNOG] AUSNOG in the news

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 17:56:06 EST 2015

On 1 Oct 2015 17:24, "Mark Stewart" <mark at nabc.com.au> wrote:

> It becomes a matter of copyright and who has ownership. Having it
publicly open with no real copyright definition

© is granted by default these days to the creator, and it isn't necessary
to have a ©, year and creator statement. The only reason to do so is to
make clear when the © period starts so that you get your full © entitlement
if you care about it.

There was a period when the © statement was required, which is why certain
movies (1968's "Night of the Living Dead) and probably other things
immediately entered the public domain because the © statement was forgotten.

"Unauthorised" quoting of this lists posts would be falling under fair use
provisions.

That all being said, I'm a tech not a copyright lawyer (who cares about
being able to choose on what basis my work can be copied) ;-)

>and what you can and can’t do with the information is up for debate.
>

> At least when you have a disclaimer, it protects copyright and ownership
of the information within. Speculatively, breaching the disclaimer means
breaching copyright laws and no one in their right mind would knowingly
breach copyright laws just the sake of a story. Well, I would hope not…

> But getting back to your question, yes it can be enforced through the
courts, if it got that far, if the disclaimer was worded in a way in which
to protect copyright and ownership of the information contained within.

> Regards,
>

> Mark Stewart

Butler
> Sent: Thursday, 1 October 2015 2:27 PM
> To: ausnog at lists.ausnog.net
>
> Subject: Re: [AusNOG] AUSNOG in the news
>

> and how do you propose that that be enforced? You can't enforce it, you
can make it members only and still not enforce it since anyone can sub to
the list then access it, and thanks to likes of gmail/hotmail/yahoo etc,
you'll have absolutely no idea who it is, so all this talk although
entertaining, is kinda silly and waste of bandwith :)

> On 01/10/2015 15:54, Mark Stewart wrote:
>>
>> One suggestion is to put a disclaimer before being able to access the
public archives stating that permission will be required before using this
content blah blah blah legal speak.

>> It can still be publicly accessible, just some guidelines should be set
for people wishing to quote the content without permission or used out of
context.

>> Similarly, the charter might need to reviewed to cover off any potential
issues which may occur in the future.

>> Regards,
>>

>> Mark Stewart

Gardiner
>> Sent: Thursday, 1 October 2015 11:54 AM
>> To: ausnog (ausnog at ausnog.net); Chris Gibbs
>> Subject: Re: [AusNOG] AUSNOG in the news
>>

>> You could still gain access to the archives, but only under the
conditions of your subscription, conditions which reflect the openness of
the list, without the risk of being quoted by the media.

>> There's no reason why a journalist couldn't still subscribe to the list,
however they wouldn't be able to use the content of the list without
approval from the mods, and the author of the email.