[AusNOG] Fwd: [Internet Australia - members] Net neutrality

James Hodgkinson yaleman at ricetek.net
Wed Nov 25 07:45:50 EST 2015

On Wed, 25 Nov 2015, at 01:24, ausftth at mail.com wrote:
> James Hodgkinson wrote:
> > But *why* is it wrong?
>    Discrimination usually is.

Discrimination (verb): to make a distinction in favor of or against a
person or thing on the basis of the group, class, or category to which
the person or thing belongs rather than according to actual merit; show
partiality:

The key point is "rather than according to actual merit". I'd say if an
organisation sets up a better method for my network to get access to
their services - such as a caching node on/close to my network - then
there's a reason to suggest people use them in favour of someone else.

> > Another example: A few of the providers have been
> > providing free IPTV services for years, directly competing with cable TV
> > - no complaints there?
>   Managed services that are not available over the Internet get a pass.
>   When properly separated from Internet service, IPTV also does not
>   affect the capacity or quality of the Internet service.
>
> Jared

Whitelisting Netflix in the billing system doesn't affect the quality or
capacity of the network service either. If anything, having them spend
the money to have caching nodes on your internal network IMPROVES this
situation for users, so steering people towards it provides a *better*
outcome for users, just as having Akamai nodes inside/directly peered
helps.

James