[AusNOG] Fwd: [Internet Australia - members] Net neutrality

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 16:46:12 EST 2015

Consider:

 - A CDN represents a considerable private investment in infrastructure.
The benefits are passed to the customer at no cost to them. Smaller players
may not like it, but it will happen, because the big players want it to
happen, and there's a clear benefit to the majority of customers. The best
argument against CDNs is that giving something away for free amounts to an
antitrust action. Good luck with that.

 - QoS - net neutrality never answers the question, if you prioritise
traffic, who pays? And without funding, you'll never get QoS in the
internet backbone. This is a huge impediment for voice and video.

 - TCP vs UDP - TCP is social. It plays by the rules. UDP elbows its way
through. There's no choice here. Eventually there will be different
treatment within the backbone of TCP vs UDP. People will be willing to pay
for uncongested UDP bandwidth, and people will be happy to route it, at a
price.

 - Content vs "services". If you provide a service, you get remunerated for
that by the customer, and consequently, you're willing to pay for bandwidth
as a business expense. So service providers would typically benefit from
transit QoS. If you provide content, your business model is based around
advertising, and there's no mechanism to pass charges to customers. In fact
your business relies on content being free. If services traffic is
prioritised over yours, it hurts your business. Either you accept that,
fight for net neutrality, or you build a CDN.

 - DOS. In light of the persistence of DOS attacks, and the failure to find
workable solutions beyond service providers with excess capacity,
eventually there will be demand for capacity that's not subject to attacks.
So there's another category of service, that's not "net neutral".

 - Security. Currently, a disproportionate number of attacks emanate from
identifiable network prefixes. Net neutrality means this traffic is just as
entitled to carriage as legitimate traffic. Call it the tragedy of the
commons, but it would be a huge benefit to legitimate users if there were
social  boundaries between legitimate and illegitimate traffic.

Obviously longer term there is going to be a negotiation around charges for
transit QoS that balances the needs of customers, service providers,
content providers, and one of the fundamental underlying principles of the
internet, that net neutrality encourages open communications and
innovation, whereas monopolisation of transit would stifle them.

To conclude, I doubt an argument against CDNs can be won. I do think all
TCP should be equal priority. But it should be possible to charge a premium
for UDP transit (which won't be CDN traffic).

Kind regards

Paul Wilkins