[AusNOG] Hands up who has AS112 Like reverse DNS infrastructure

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Nov 23 13:53:32 EST 2015

In message <5652775E.9050702 at spectrum.com.au>, Matt Perkins writes:
> Hi All,
>   I was wondering what all your thoughts would be about AS112 Like
> Black-hole reverse lookup infrastructure might be across the CSP space.
> Seems that people do things as little as simply adding blackhole'd zones
> for the RFC1918 ranges right up to dedicated infrastructure and even
> their own instance  AS112.
>
> I have been doing simple blackhole'ed zones on our main caching dns
> infrastructure for now but I dont really have a good handle on how much
> resources this is actually using. I know a fair few ISP's are sending
> this through to the keeper. Which is not ideal if it goes away for any
> reason.
>
> Anybody care to share their insights .
>
> Matt.

There was a reason I wrote BCP 163 (RFC 6303).  These zones should
be handled as close to the client as possible preferably in the CPE
but if not there by the ISP.

Many nameservers just have these zones built in.  There is a
additional set for 100.64/10 which you may or may not be using to
talk to your customers.

Mark