[AusNOG] Remote Work - (SIP/Security/CGNAT)

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sun Nov 15 03:14:29 EST 2015

On Fri, 13 Nov 2015, Chris wrote:

> It's not only your transit provider, the traffic back matters too.
>
> As an example, I have a /29 on my PLDT fibre connection. Testing from two
> different IP's in that /29 to the same destination in AU results in a
> difference of 120ms! The route leaving AU is the same for both, the route TO
> AU from PLDT is different starting from the third hop. On Globe it is the same
> latency across all IP's in the /29 with them.
>
> Luke: If you want me to do any testing for you I would be happy to help as
> well (from my Globe and PLDT connections, business fibre and ADSL). If you use
> RIPE ATLAS I also have a probe setup on my Globe fibre connection, chances are
> you will be using that if you select Philippines.
>
> At the end of the day I would never use a single ISP unless I was willing to
> put up with down time and/or excessive latency. I have used 6 different ISP's
> here so far (fibre, ADSL and wireless PTP link) and not one has been anywhere
> near as reliable as the iiNet DSL connection I had back in Australia. Just
> today there was a power outage, my PLDT fibre link had no outage but the Globe
> one did. Obviously the Globe one is missing a UPS somewhere in their
> network...

What about having a double-hop VPN - the phones first VPN to a colo'd
router in the Phillipines, which then VPNs back to Australia? This
separates the carrier for the the local tails from your international
routing. Or have the SIP connections terminate at the colo host, and then
trunked back over IAX2 or SIP. Not sure which would be better for latency.

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |