[AusNOG] Remote Work - (SIP/Security/CGNAT)

Chris lists at shthead.com
Fri Nov 13 20:32:04 EST 2015

On 13/11/2015 4:35 PM, Jonathan Brewer wrote:
> Hi Luke,
>
> On 13 November 2015 at 11:59, Luke Iggleden <luke at iggleden.com
> <mailto:luke at iggleden.com>> wrote:
>
>     We've recently been tasked with assisting getting SIP running from
>     Australia to the Philippines for remote staff workers on DSL
>     tails. SIP server is in Sydney, behind Vocus transit.
>
>     It appears that CGNAT is a hurdle, plus 350-450ms of latency, and
>     the inability to obtain a static IP on a 'residential' grade tail.
>

> If your remote workers are on the dominant Philippines carrier PLDT,
> your first step will be to shift your SIP server to a transit provider
> with better routes to the Philippines. If they're on Globe, the same
> measurements can be done - I'm happy to show you how to set them up.

It's not only your transit provider, the traffic back matters too.

As an example, I have a /29 on my PLDT fibre connection. Testing from
two different IP's in that /29 to the same destination in AU results in
a difference of 120ms! The route leaving AU is the same for both, the
route TO AU from PLDT is different starting from the third hop. On Globe
it is the same latency across all IP's in the /29 with them.

Luke: If you want me to do any testing for you I would be happy to help
as well (from my Globe and PLDT connections, business fibre and ADSL).
If you use RIPE ATLAS I also have a probe setup on my Globe fibre
connection, chances are you will be using that if you select Philippines.

At the end of the day I would never use a single ISP unless I was
willing to put up with down time and/or excessive latency. I have used 6
different ISP's here so far (fibre, ADSL and wireless PTP link) and not
one has been anywhere near as reliable as the iiNet DSL connection I had
back in Australia. Just today there was a power outage, my PLDT fibre
link had no outage but the Globe one did. Obviously the Globe one is
missing a UPS somewhere in their network...