[AusNOG] load balancing ADSl connections

Joseph Goldman joe at apcs.com.au
Wed Nov 4 07:59:32 EST 2015

It is completely possible to bond ADSL and use as backhaul while
building customer base. Obviously - you could run into congestion fast
though. Depends how you sell your wireless product (1-10mbps or 5-50mbps
etc).

Have you had a look to see if any EoC providers are available in the
area? These still use the copper pairs from the exchange, and so can
generally cost a lot less to get started with some decent bandwidth
(much better than the commitment costs of fiber optic). You might also
have some luck looking for some premium microwave / fixed wireless
providers to do the higher bandwidth backhaul.

For ADSL bonding - the most luck I've had is using individual
connections, with a tunnel over each to a familiar endpoint in the DC,
with some form of bonding placed on the tunnels, in my use cases
specifically, Mikrotik's proprietary balance-rr bonding over their EoIP
tunnels. MLPPP I've had little success with, not to say it can't work
though.