[AusNOG] Optus Cable congestion

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 21:47:57 EST 2015

To be clear - Optus host their own Ookla speedtest server (
speedtest.optus.com.au). During peak, I couldn't get double-digit download
Mbps speeds from it, and the phone service they provide over VoIP wasn't
even getting enough bandwidth to make calls successfully.

The issue they have is internal network congestion, generally due to
massively over-subscribed nodes (which I strongly expect they are not
upgrading any more, despite multiple promises to the contrary, because they
know nbn will be buying the network from them at an already agreed price -
and why would you invest in an asset under those circumstances?).