[AusNOG] Facebook on NSW-IX

Barry Murphy barry at vibecommunications.co.nz
Wed May 6 17:12:08 EST 2015

All the images etc come off CDN’s so the content FB deliver is just the text based portion / html of the page.
They said they delivered this all over the peering locations and equinix should be preferred were their words.
Quite a few providers carry the backbone traffic, I know microsoft have done this now and there is at least one other about to start that I know of.

Considering we get around 5% across their peering in AU, if this was the case for every provider then I could assume their traffic for AU at 1.6Gbps is only 5% of the HTML and that’s just the one port they have others with other IX’s such as Equinix etc.
If that was the case we’re talking about 60gbps of HTML traffic they deliver to the region, seems a little high when looked at this way.

Cheers

--
Kind regards,
Barry Murphy / Chief Operating Officer