[AusNOG] IPv6

Greg Anderson ganderson at raywhite.com
Tue Mar 31 15:59:40 EST 2015

I disagree with your statement, and I think that is because I don't really
consider this a change in state the same way you do.

If we were talking colour, you would be saying we start at black, progress
through grey and end up at white.

I see it as to seperate environments completely (as they are intended to be
deployed dual stack).

One is black, and there is a lot of it (IPv4)
One is white, and there is less of it (IPv6)

In either of these, their state will change independently, but only
directly in relation to itself (within reason).  They may influence each
other, but at this stage, and for the foreseeable future, IPv4 is not going
anywhere.  Hack jobs like CGNAT are going to keep extending its life,
despite their drawbacks.

So maybe I am just clueless, but really the state change will be with IPv6
until it is ubiquitous, and only once that happens is there likely to be a
state change in IPv4 (removal).  That will start to occur the day someone
does a test by pulling down the IPv4 network and testing, whilst finding no
detrimental changes.

On 31 March 2015 at 14:40, Paul Wilkins <paulwilkins369 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Please don't regard this as trolling, but there is not going to be, and
> cannot be, a gradual transition to IPv6. Consider this a state problem,
> where the current state is ipv4, and we want to move to ipv6. We can only
> make the transition when the marginal utility of ipv6 is greater than for
> ipv4, ie. dU/d$(ipv6) > dU/d$(ipv4) for users, carriers, and content
> providers. This will only happen with a forcing change. For the foreseable
> future, the lack of entropy precludes any transition from ipv4.
>
> Paul Wilkins
>
> On 31 March 2015 at 13:45, David Beveridge <dave at bevhost.com> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 10:53 AM, Mark ZZZ Smith <
>> markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>>
>>> When was that?
>>>
>> about two years ago.

*Greg Anderson*

*Senior Network Administrator · Ray White Group*

*T*  07 3231 2121

L 26,​ 111​ Eagle Street Brisbane Queensland 4000