[AusNOG] IPv6

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 09:46:34 EST 2015

Hi Noel (and all),

I think Noel has proven that his personal usage of IPv6 is small. I don't
think anyone can argue that.

I know that although I see a lot of sites there in Noel's list that are
familiar, my IPv6 usage would be much higher in terms of volume - my kids
have managed to burn through a 150GB quota several times, and they do it
through a mix of YouTube and ABC iView (iView isn't unmetered for me on
IPv6). I also have a natively IPv6 connection (through Internode), though
this is about to change as I change ISPs, I will be seeking a tunnel
provider if I can make it work on my router.

As a rule, I don't see any significant performance issues (or significant
benefits) when using IPv6 (I can easily enable and disable it as I wish on
my PCs, and I have a <10Mbps ADSL2 connection). I do know that I absolutely
need IPv6 for some services that I consume at present (one of my corporate
VPN solutions requires IPv6, and although it will tunnel it over IPv4 if
necessary, that has a significant performance impact - it is the exception
that proves the rule I mentioned).

I might try to set up some monitoring to check my usage - as per Noel's
individual results, my results won't be statistically significant for the
general population, but I will hopefully be able to add another data point.

The people who can give useful stats are our ISPs and CSPs (IXs too
perhaps?), who have significant aggregate traffic stats they can view and
interpret.

Regards,

Robert