[AusNOG] IPv6

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Fri Mar 27 00:09:58 EST 2015

On 26 Mar 2015, at 23:13, Chris Hurley <chris at minopher.net.au> wrote:

> I could be wrong (and I have been before ;-), but the biggest mistake in IP6 was not making it backward compatible with IP4.

How could that possibly have worked?

> Yes there are some good technical agruements with substance as to why we should make the quantum leap. But they forget the human lag factor. I.e it's not broken don't fix,  It costs money, where's my return etc.

No, the human lag factor is well understood: you people just don't want to do it.

If you wanted to, you'd have done it by now. It isn't hard, it's just another layer-3 protocol, its introduction on an IPv4 network is easier than introducing MPLS or changing to another IGP.

But you don't want to. So you haven't.

> That being said and the fact we have now "exhausted" IP4 addresses, what are the realistic options?

We know that too: Deploy. Choose to not be part of the problem.

> Personally I thought the NBN was the perfect vehicle to mandate IP6,

The NBN was envisaged as a layer 2 network. Layer-3 protocols are up to the service providers.

   - mark