[AusNOG] Telstra run out of IPv4 - goes CGNAT

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Tue Mar 24 21:27:20 EST 2015

On Tue, 2015-03-24 at 15:20 +1100, Beeson, Ayden wrote:
> It seems most of our bigger ISP’s are (at least publicly) in the
> second camp, where they would rather deploy CGNAT, gain the short term
> benefits and then drag everybody else down rather than progressing
> their v6 rollouts while doing CGNAT where absolutely necessary…..

<rant>

No shareholder-run business will ever voluntarily go downhill, not even
to reach a higher peak on the other side of the valley.

Customers, the people paying the money that keeps ISPs alive, simply do
not give a shit whether "thuh Innernet" is delivered over IPv4, IPv6, or
on hand-inscribed sheep pellets. As long as customers do not care ISPs
will not embrace IPv6. They will continue to change reactively, and only
ever by thinking inside the box. Outside the box is an unknown risk.
Known risks are far, far preferable, and pretty much all the risks of
IPv4 and NAT, including CGNAT, are well-known.

And the problems happen largely *to the customers*. ISPs themselves are
not impacted by most of the downsides of CGNAT, just as they are not
impacted by the effects of CPE-based NAT. Only a problem that has
customers leaving or phoning is a real problem. Nearly twenty years of
CPE-based NAT have gotten customers so used to the lack of sky in their
cave that if they were ever let out they wouldn't even look up. They
aren't aren't leaving and they aren't phoning - so there is no problem.

The only problem that IPv4 address scarcity has brought to ISPs
themselves is the problem of not being able to add customers, and that
can be dealt with by buying a box. They are used to buying boxes.

</rant>

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: 3C41 82BE A9E7 99A1 B931 5AE7 7638 0147 2C3C 2AC4
Old fingerprint: EC67 61E2 C2F6 EB55 884B E129 072B 0AF0 72AA 9882