[AusNOG] Warrant-less Info Requests / Cost Recovery

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Wed Mar 18 14:03:30 EST 2015

That suggests to me that while the larger providers can afford to spread
the cost of compliance across many requests (and so only charge $500 for a
simple IP-to-details request, or $15k for a 2-year dump), that smaller
providers will need to spread the cost over a much smaller set of requests
- so perhaps a 'simple' request is going to cost $20k, and a 2-year dump
will cost $200k, based on a cost-recovery model?

Perhaps that is a good reason to push for a firm threshold of subscribers
below which an ISP/hosting provider does not need to worry about recording
such data?  If it's going to cost an agency 50x the amount to request data
from a smaller provider, should they be required to store that data, then
it would make sense to not require the smaller providers to bother keeping
that data in the first place, and stay with the current
'we-might-or-might-not-have-that' approach ?

Or it might just be that I like stirring the pot ;)

On 18 March 2015 at 13:52, Matt Perkins <matt at spectrum.com.au> wrote:

> I don't like the idea of the whole fee per request model. We are a
> business focused provider. We don't have thousands or home users. As such
> we get a total of about 1 request every few years.
>
> At that rate the cost of compliance for us may be thousands or even
> hundreds of thousands depending on the interpretation of the proposed
> legislation. With perhaps one or two request every couple of years.  We
> don't even get more then a perhaps 1 or 2 copyright notices a month. We
> could never pay for the cost of compliance even at $1000 a request.
>
> Matt
>

> --
> /* Matt Perkins
>        Direct 1300 137 379     Spectrum Networks Ptd. Ltd.
>        Office 1300 133 299     matt at spectrum.com.au
>        Fax    1300 133 255     Level 6, 350 George Street Sydney 2000
>       SIP 1300137379 at sip.spectrum.com.au
>        Google Talk MattAPerkins at gmail.com
>        PGP/GNUPG Public Key can be found at  http://pgp.mit.edu
> */
>
> On 18 Mar 2015, at 1:38 pm, Paul Julian <paul at oxygennetworks.com.au>
> wrote:
>
> I think this approach is spot on, the charge has to be fair and indicative
> of the effort and resources involved, and we will be taking the same
> approach.
>
> Regards
> Paul
>

> Andrew Yager <andrew at rwts.com.au> , 3/18/2015 1:24 PM:
>
> Hi Terry,
>
> We are taking the view that this is an exercise that is equivalent of up
> to 2 hours technical services, and given the costs of verifying and
> ensuring compliance, our standard cost for a request will be $500 per
> request.
>
> For greater time periods (e.g. reporting on two years), our charging rate
> will extend to $15 000 for this service.
>
> More complicated requests (such as access logs from a web server) will
> also attract higher rates.
>
> I’d encourage everyone to ensure that their costs are reasonable relating
> to the amount of work - and the opportunity cost associated with complying
> with this daft legislation.
>
> Andrew
>
> --
> *Andrew Yager, Managing Director*   *(MACS Snr CP BCompSc MCP
> JNCIA-Junos)*
> Real World Technology Solutions Pty Ltd  - IT people you can trust
> ph: 1300 798 718 or (02) 9037 0500
> fax: (02) 9037 0591
> http://www.rwts.com.au/
>

> On 18 Mar 2015, at 1:11 pm, Terry Sweetser <terry+AusNOG at skymesh.net.au>
> wrote:
>
> Hello Noggers,
>
> I'm wondering what policies and pricing any/all of your organisations have
> in place to "recover" costs when asked for (meta-)data about ip addresses,
> customers and so on?
>
> Given the transition for 2-year retention and the expansion of the
> (meta-)dataset to be retained, what plans are in place to charge reasonable
> [...]

Damien Gardner Jnr
VK2TDG. Dip EE. GradIEAust
rendrag at rendrag.net -  http://www.rendrag.net/
 We ran to the sounds of thunder.