[AusNOG] Effect of Data Retention regime on smaller ISPs

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Tue Mar 17 19:45:20 EST 2015

On 17/03/2015 7:21 PM, Scott Wilson wrote:
> So, correct me if i'm wrong but...does that mean that CPE purchased by the end user
> is exempt, but CPE supplied under by the ISP will be required to keep logs?

That would be a very worthwhile discussion to have with the CAC.

Also keep in mind 187A (4)(e): "This section does not require a service provider to
keep...information about the location of a telecommunications device that is not
information used by the service provider in relation to the relevant service to which
the device is connected"

Which could mean - if you don't currently track location of a device, maybe you don't
need to log it afterall. Or maybe you do, under the bits Narelle quoted.

Clear as mud, so many contradictions. Could you see what the CAC has to say about it
all and report back?

Thanks.

Paul.