[AusNOG] Spam Filtering

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Wed Mar 11 10:34:21 EST 2015

Replying in roundcube so cant reply in-line without destroying who said
what...

Stick to inhouse, they are your clients, so your rules, some filtering
company based in eg the US isn't going to give a toss if its over
zealous rules eat their mail, spamassassin is more than adequate to do
the job, and most of these outsourced services and devices use it
anyway, but most often the third party services/devices have poor
defaults, you only need to google reliability _device_name_ to see the
nightmares some (but not all) organisation go through, countless whinges
about ironport and barracuda use to flood certain lists in times gone
by, with most resolving the issues by dumping the devices and installing
SA and custom rules on their MTA's.

Dealing with spam is like dealing with trust, there is no one shoe fits
all, and most importantly, trust can only be earned - not bought. It
takes minimal work to maintain SA, the odd rule tweaking or adding here
and there once you get it setup right and your done, I've probably
adjusted mine once this year, and I might have got one spam get passed
it.

As for customer releasing? Just tag it, those in IMAP/Webmail can be
auto moved by sieve to a junk folder, those with pop3, can set up their
own local filter based on its tag or X-Spam status header. and if its
suspected virus, discard it right away.